Pilates is an excellent form of exercise that benefits guests of all levels – from professional athletes to beginners, and everyone in between. It provides a heightened awareness and builds up the muscles for better posture. Pilates originated in the early 20th century and was first developed by Joseph Pilates, who shaped the exercises with the intention of strengthening the body and the mind. There are similarities that can be found between Pilates and Yoga.
Pilates follows a series of controlled movements designed to improve flexibility, build up strength, and develop control and endurance throughout the entire body. It places emphasis on alignment, breathing techniques, developing a strong core and improving coordination and balance. Often referred to as ‘The Powerhouse” in Pilates, the core is thought to be the main component in aiding stability. The exercises are also highly modifiable, and can be altered to suit a wide range of abilities. The level of difficulty for each exercise can be increased over time as the individual gains more strength. Thanyapura’s instructors will work with guests who may require a modified version of the workout.
The Pilates classes at Thanyapura focus on six core principles: Concentration (each exercise demands focus, as it is important to refine the technique of each movement), Control (all exercises are done with intentional control to maximise resistance and performance), Breathing (the exercises are performed will proper inhalation and exhalation into the rib cage), Flow (each exercise should flow into one another, with the core powering each transition), Precision (the importance of getting an exercise correct outweighs merely carrying each one out), and Centering (movement begins in the core and moves outwards to the limbs).
- Increases your flexibility
- Aids in weight loss
- Improves posture
- Develops core strength
- Eases back pain
- Improves athletic performance
What Should I Bring?
- Wear loose-fitting clothing for maximum mobility
- Water bottle to stay hydrated
Additional Class Information
- Let us know if you have any injuries or changes to your body
- Please turn off cell phones
- Avoid exercises that hurt the body
- Classes, coaches and venues are subject to change due to availability.
- Reservations must be made with Club Services and acceptance into the class will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Please be ready 10 mins before classes start to ensure they run on time.