Ladies’ Muay Thai classes combine fitness with Thailand’s national sport. Each session pushes the body to the limits through a complete workout. “Muay Thai”, or “The Art of Eight Limbs” uses fists, elbows, feet, and knees for offensive and defensive strikes. The Thai boxing sport is thought to have originated in the 1700s, and has been Thailand’s national sport for a long time. Although it was traditionally used as a fighting tactic, it nowadays offers its students the ability to improve their physical endurance, hone their self-defensive skills and aid their personal advancement.
Muai Thai utilises the hands, elbows and legs. Punching (Chok) includes jobs, crosses, hooks, spinning backfists, overhands and upper cuts. Elbows (Sok) are used for slashes, uppercuts, thrusts, spins, chops and strikes. The knees are used for strikes, slaps and bombs, and the feet are used for thrusts. Thanyapura’s Muai Thai martial arts class is a medium to high intensity session, designed to improve strength, increase endurance and improve participants skills in the sport. During the class students will work the bags and pads with a trainer to refine their technique and practise drills for knee, foot and arm work.
The first 5-10 minutes will focus cardio training to warm up the body, followed by some stretching and shadowboxing. After this, the main Muai Thai movement training will take place which works on movement, bodyweight exercises, and sparring is available for more advanced students. Prior to the class beginning, Thanyapura’s instructor will help guests wrap their hands and feet to add protection when practising the exercises.
Each class consists of:
- Warm ups and stretching – low intensity Muay Thai techniques such as skipping and light running
- Technical – 20 minutes of shadow boxing, repetitions of basic movements, and fitness training
- Intervals – high intensity repetitions of techniques
- Muscular strength – strength training of muscles used during the class
- Cool down and final stretching – more bodyweight exercises and rope skipping
- Enhances fitness with cardio and strength training exercises
- Shapes all areas of the body, using all eight limbs
- Lose weight: Burn 600 – 1,000 calories in one hour
- Helps to alleviate stress
- Learn self-defense
What Should I Bring?
- Wear shorts and lose shirts for mobility
- Bring water bottles to stay hydrated
Additional Class Information
- Classes, coaches and venues are subject to change due to availability.
- Reservations must be made with Club Services and acceptance into the class will be on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Please be ready 10 mins before classes start to ensure they run on time.