You’ve hit weight loss plateau. You’ve lost one pound. Now it’s getting harder to lose the additional pound. While you aim to lose 0.5 – 1 kilograms per week, you feel it gets more difficult the more you try. What you’re experiencing is called “weight loss plateau.”
Weight loss is a concept of calories intake and output, as well as your metabolism. There are many weight loss plans out there, but I recommend Harvard School of Public Health’s “Healthy Eating Plate” by controlling your calories intake.
In the short term, limit yourself to 800 calories for 3-4 days to stimulate your metabolism. Gradually increase to 1,200 – 1,500 calories per day, depending on the individual’s basal metabolic rate or BMR and the calories base for metabolism. When exercising, maintain body weight by burning 200 – 300 calories per day. To reduce body weight, you’ll need to burn up to 500 – 700 calories per day.
WHAT IS WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAU?
When the calories you burn equal the calories you eat, you’ve reached a plateau. To overcome the plateau, you have to limit your calories by eating less and burning more calories. Your mind also affects your metabolism.
BEAT WEIGHT LOSS PLATEAU
Keep goals in mind. If you’ve hit the weight lose plateau, it means that you are on the right track
Review your nutrition plan. When you weigh less, the body burns calories while you’re resting and during periods of activity – requiring an adjustment to your nutrition plan. If you started at the 1,500 calories plan at the beginning, you may have to reduce to the 1,200 plans to match with your new body weight.
- Review your food proportion, increase veggie to 35% in your meal. Change white rice, white bread to brown rice and whole grain.
- If you can reduce carbohydrate 50-100 grams per day, your body will reduce insulin production that leads to more fat-burning from your body.
- Eat enough protein to feel full and build muscle. If you still addict to some foods or snacks, it‘s time to quit these foods.
Review your exercise plan
- Add more time and intensity of exercise.
- Try new types of exercises. Focusing on one exercise isolates a group of muscles. Use other exercises to target other muscles, leading to more calorie burn and increase in muscle mass.
- If you’re limited on time, try interval training.
- If you have more muscle mass, you will burn more calories.
- Don’t focus on the wrong muscle group such as doing exercises only for the chest and arms.
- The core exercises targets the biggest muscles in the body.
- Although it won’t burn calories, stretching is a great way to reduce stress.
- Stress leads to feelings of food craving and desires to eat all the time.
- Disciplines such as yoga, Tai Chi, or stretching exercises can help curb cravings.
Improve your metabolism
- Explore weight training, hormone management, nutrition, and supplements.
- The male hormone, testosterone can increase metabolism.
- Higher testosterone leads to higher metabolism, more energy and more activity. Some researches show its role in heart disease prevention.
- Caffeine and flavonoid in green tea may help to increase metabolism in your body.
Everyone will face the weight loss plateau. You can overcome it with a disciplined mind and firm commitment to your goals.
In January, Thanyapura Health & Wellness is offering the Slimming Body Treatment. Achieve a leaner stomach by reducing cellulite. The treatment firms and tones the skin through natural ingredients such as brown seaweed extracts, caffeine, and ivy. The active ingredients rapidly detoxify the fatty deposits and encourage the elimination of waste. Click here for more information.