Phuket International Academy Day School is authorised to offer the Primary Years Programme (PYP) of the IB for Early Childhood (K1, K2 and Prep), and Junior School, grades 1 – 5.
The school is currently implementing the IB's Middle Years Programme (MYP) in grades six through nine. Once grade ten is begun in the summer of 2013, it plans to apply for authorisation for all five grades. It already holds candidate status for the MYP.
The application for candidate status to offer the IB Diploma Programme (DP) for grades 11 and 12, as from the beginning of a grade 11 class in 2014 was submitted in September 2012.
The IB programmes encourage students to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right. We encourage a positive attitude to learning by encouraging students to ask challenging questions, to reflect critically, to develop research skills, to learn how to learn and to participate in community service.
The IB learner profile lies at the heart of this common framework, as a clear and concise statement of the aims and values of the IB, and an embodiment of what the IB means by "international-mindedness".
Key Benefits of the IB programmes include:
• Making Connections - IB approaches to teaching and learning have a transdisciplinary approach in the primary years, an interdisciplinary approach in the middle years and a disciplinary approach in the Diploma years. At all levels connections between and among disciplines are emphasized.
• Academic Rigour - Students encounter rigour throughout all disciplines. They learn how to learn, analyze, and reach thoughtful conclusions, making it a demanding programme that pushes students to high levels of academic excellence.
• Comprehensiveness - Students refine areas of strength, and developmentally improve areas of weakness.
• International - Mindedness - The programme encourages students to think globally and to act locally. International-mindedness is woven into the curriculum as a key value in the understanding that what unites us as human beings is greater than what divides us and that the traits of the learner profile are applicable to all who would seek to be internationally-minded.
• Internationally Recognised - Knowledgeable colleges, universities and employers universally recognise the IB as the "gold standard" in world class education.